State Capital Atlanta, GA
Woodcut from the August 11, 1887
It was received by the regiment from the Secretary of War of the Confederate Government on June 20, 1862.
The first color bearer was Alexander L. Langston, of Co. C, who was killed carrying his flag in the battle of Gettysburg, July 2, 1863.
The second color bearer was Dennis Ryan, of Co. B, who was killed carrying his flag at the battle of the Crater, near Petersburg, Va., July 30, 1864.
The third color bearer was Robert W. Bagly [Bagby], of Co. H, who lost his right arm carrying this flag in the battle of Reams' Station, near Petersburg, Va., August 25, 1864.
The fourth color bearer was Frank B. Barnwell, of Co. C, who was desperately wounded carrying this flag in the battle of Hatcher's Run, near Petersburg, Va., February 6, 1865, on account of which wounds he was retired from the service.
The fifth color bearer was James C. Hicks, of Co. I, who carried the flag from Barnwell's retirement to the surrender at Appomattox Court House, Va., April 9, 1865.
When the Army of Northern Virginia was surrendered by General Robert E. Lee to General U. S. Grant, Commander of the Army of the Potomac, and when the third Georgia Regiment had stacked its guns, this flag was taken from the staff by James C. Hicks, the color bearer, and given to Colonel Clayborne Snead, the commander of the regiment, who wrapped it around his person under his coat. Later he gave it to Lieutenant Garrett S. Oglesby, of Co. G, with instructions to place it with some loyal citizen of Virginia for preservation. It was entrusted to a Mrs. Blanton, the wife of a Presbyterian minister at Salem, Va. This patriotic lady nobly executed her trust, safely keeping it until railroad communication was established in the South, when she expressed it to Colonel Snead at Augusta, Georgia, who preserved it until the survivors organized their association. Later the Association, by resolution, adopted Miss Lizzie Snead, the only daughter of Colonel Snead, now Mrs. R. L. Palmer, of Augusta, Georgia, as the daughter of the association and made her the permanent custodian of the flag. She has kept it and cared for it until this day when she has delivered it to the committee to be placed in this case, where it will remain forever.
This flag received its baptismal fire in the battle of King's School House, near Richmond, Va., on the 25th day of June, 1862. It was borne in triumph upon every battle-field that the Army of Northern Virginia, under the command of General Robert E. Lee, fought with the Army of the Potomac, under its various commanders. It received in these various battles the wounds of one bomb shell and fifty-three minie balls. It was never trailed in the dust and no enemy's hand ever touched it. It has received the salutations in the battle front of both Jackson and Lee. Hundreds of the best young men of Georgia gave their lives following it. Broken legions have rallied around it and great victories have been won following its lead.
Now, in its old age, all tattered and torn, and to a casual observer it is but an old faded rag, we place it here as a silent reminder of that great struggle, reflecting the principles for which it stood, "The rights of the States under the Constitution of the United States," which will live forever.
Therefore, we of the survivors who followed it, have embalmed it with our tears and with tender and affectionate hands have placed it in this case, dedicating it to the memory and heroism of the true and brave men who shed their blood, and gave their lives for the cause for which it stood.